Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Buddocks

One of the comfort foods I grew up on was a barbecued pork-filled bun that my late aunt used to make. Baking wasn't my thing then or anyone else's in the family and the recipe died with my aunt.
I had no idea what the buns were called until I stumbled upon the video below and learned that they are actually called 'buddocks' ( not buttocks!). According to Jay Del Corro, the dude in the video, buddocks are a home style meat bun made with a basic bread dough, stuffed with ground beef or pork, cabbage and onions.
You can actually fill the buns with whatever you want - leftover curry, pizza topping, pie filling etc. I made mine with a filling of Chinese BBQ pork and they were delish!

Chinese BBQ Pork Filling
2 1-inch thick boneless pork chops or chicken breast
1 Tbsp Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar

2 shallots, finely chopped
2 Tbsp cooking oil
4 Tbsp cornstarch
3 Tbsp cold water

Method

1. In a bowl, combine diced meat with all the seasoning ingredients. Add in sugar last. Mix well to combine. Refrigerate for an hour or more.
2. In a  pan, saute shallots in 2 Tbsp oil over medium heat till golden brown.
3. Add in the meat. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, mix corn starch and water in a separate bowl. Add cornstarch mixture to the pan and cook for another minute till sauce thickens. Remove from heat and allow filling to cool before using.

If you were making your own buddocks, what filling would you use?

12 comments:

  1. they look tasty. I suppose I have to watch the video to see how to make the buns with the mix inside? now I am hungry for something Asian....hummmm
    Faythe

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing I thought is why do they call these buttocks, then I seen you said buddocks. LOL.... The look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like something my husband would really like to try. It's a good share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont eat pork but gosh that looked good

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look delicious! It doesn't help that I'm hungry right now. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds yummy!
    Have a super weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your lovely blog at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What are you doing to me!!! I'm actually trying to lose weight and threaten my mom every day that if she doesn't stop cooking yummy food, I'll leave home for good (she never believes me, hehe)
    Your recipe looks very, very yummy though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy!!!! MG loves these! Wish I had time to make them... We wait for grandma to buy them as treats instead. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look so tasty! Believe it or not, I would stuff mines with a sardine mixture. Just saw a recipe that uses sardines just like tuna. I think it would fit right into the buddocks...

    Sharon
    http://makeitorfixit.com

    ReplyDelete